Saeb aur Suji Halwa (Apple Halwa) Cooking Recipe
A comforting dish for a cold winter’s day. But as it is high in carbs and sugar, make sure you don’t have it too often! Serves 6.
- 90g semolina (rawa/suji)
- 200ml skimmed milk
- 85g sugar substitute
- ½ teaspoon ground green cardamom
- generous pinch of saffron
- 3 large (450g) apples, 1 pureed and 2 thinly sliced
- 5-6 pistachio nuts, blanched and slivered
- Dry roast the semolina, taking care that it does not get coloured. Set aside.
- Boil the milk with 200ml water in a deep pan. Add the sugar substitute, ground cardamom and half of the saffron.
- Slowly add the semolina and cook, stirring, until the mixture becomes semi-dry. Add the pureed apple and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Divide into four portions. Pack each portion tightly into a bowl, turn it upside down on to a serving plate and de-mould. Decorate with the apple slices, pistachios and the remaining saffron.
663 kj; 157 kcals; 3.3g protein; 0.9g fat; 0.1g sat fat; 36.2g carbohydrates; 24g sugar; 1.7g fibre; 20mg sodium