Bell Peppers with Anchovies and Garlic Cooking Recipe – Peperoni All’acciugata Recipe
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 4 yellow bell peppers
- ⅔ cup (5 ¼ oz./100 g) salted anchovies
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ stick (1 oz./30 g) butter
- 3 ½ tablespoons (50 ml) olive oil
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Wash the peppers, cut them into quarters; remove the seeds and white pith.
- Rinse the salt from the anchovies, remove their backbone, then chop them.
- Peel and chop the garlic.
- Put the butter and the olive oil in a skillet over low heat (they should not color) and soften the garlic and anchovies.
- Stir in the milk.
- Add the peppers, cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
- The mixture can also be served on slices of bread toasted on a griddle.
Suggested food/wine match
- Grignolino d’Asti, red DOC
To make a lighter dish, peel the peppers with a serrated vegetable peeler (for thin-skinned vegetables such as tomatoes), or roast them over a flame and then let them cool down in an airtight container before removing the skins.
Did you know?
Served at every table in Piedmont, this simple dish is usually considered an antipasto but can also accompany meat or fish.