Mexican Veg Soups Cooking Recipes – Tortilla, Burnt Corn & Cilantro Soups
Tortilla Soup Cooking Recipe
- 1 recipe of nachos
- ½ cup boiled red kidney beans (rajmah)
- 2 tbsp butter or oil
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 green chilli – deseeded and chopped
- ½ green capsicum – finely chopped
- 2 tbsp corn – chopped
- 4 tomatoes – finely chopped
- 1½-¼ tsp red chilli powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin (Jeera) powder
- 2 tbsp tomato puree, ready made
- 5 cups stock or water
- oil for frying
- fresh coriander to garnish
- Prepare dough as given for nachos.
- Roll out 1 ball into a round chappati and then cut into thin long strips, (you can make nachos with the remaining dough as given and store in an air tight container)
- In a deep pan or stock pot, heat butter or oil, add chopped onion, garlic, green chilli and capsicum. Cook till onion turns soft.
- Add corn, tomato, tomato puree, red chilli powder, salt and cumin powder.
- Cook till tomato is very soft and mushy, for about 5 minutes. Mash well.
- Add beans and 5 cups stock or water. Give one boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Check salt and remove from fire. Keep aside till serving time.
- At serving time, heat soup thoroughly and remove from fire. Put 2-3 tortilla strips in individual bowls, pour hot soup over them. Garnish with 1-2 more crisp fried tortilla strips and fresh coriander. Serve hot.
Burnt Corn Soup Cooking Recipe
- 1 big corn on the cob (bhutta), 250-275 gms
- 1 green capsicum – washed and roasted
- 2 soup cubes (maggi or knorr)
- 2-3 tbsp butter or olive oil
- ½ onion – finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt & pepper or to taste
- Roast corn on a naked flame, turning sides, constantly till brown specks appear on all the sides. Remove from fire, scrape roasted corn niblets with the help of a knife from the cob. Keep aside 2 tbsp corn for garnishing.
- Pierce a fork or a knife in the capsicum & roast it on an open flame till it becomes black from various sides. Rub lightly to remove the black skin. Do not wash. Chop capsicum finely into very small pieces.
- Crush soup cubes. Mix with 1½ cups of warm water and keep aside the stock.
- Heat butter or oil in a saucepan or any deep pan. Add chopped onion and cook till onions turn soft. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Add garlic and roasted corn niblets.
Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add prepared stock, capsicum and salt. Give one boil. Lower heat. Cook covered for 5 minutes. Remove from fire and cool. Blend coarsely in a mixer to a rough paste.
- Put this paste in the saucepan. Return to fire. Add 1½ cups of water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add coriander and lemon juice. Check salt and add if needed. Mix well. Remove from fire, serve sprinkled with corn niblets and pepper.
Cilantro Soup Cooking Recipe
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 bay leaf (fey patta)
- 1″ stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- ¾ cup chopped potato
- 1 cup cilantro or green coriander chopped
- with the stalks
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- ½ cup milk
- 2½ cups water
- 1 soup cube (maggi or knorr)
- For the stock, crush 1 soup cube and mix with 2½ cups of water. Keep aside.
- Peel potato and cut into small cubes or pieces.
- Melt 1 tsp butter in a pan, add bay leaf, cinnamon and chopped potato. Cook for 5 minutes on medium flame, stirring in between.
- Add spinach and chopped coriander, stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add ½ cup milk. Cook for 2 minutes on medium flame, stirring continuously.
- Remove from fire. Let it cool. Churn cooled mixture in a mixer to get a puree.
- Return puree to the pan, add the prepared stock. Give 2-3 boils. Remove from fire. Serve hot in individual soup bowls.