Florentine Bean Stew Cooking Recipe – Fagioli All’uccelletto Recipe
Soaking time: 10 hours
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours-3 hours 30 minutes
- 1 ½ lb. (700 g) white beans (cannellini)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 2 cloves garlic
- 14 oz. (400 g) ripe tomatoes or 10 oz. (250 g) canned, peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sage leaves
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper
A day ahead.
- Soak the beans in cold water for at least 10 hours.
On the same day.
- Cook the beans in salted water with a bay leaf and a pinch of baking soda over low heat (faster cooking can result in them breaking up) for 2 to 3 hours.
- During this time, peel the garlic.
- If necessary, peel the tomatoes (after immersing for a few seconds in boiling water, then in cold water), then chop.
- Drain the beans.
- Fry the garlic with the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add the sage leaves and the beans, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, season with salt, and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.
Suggested food/wine match
- Col d’Orcia, Sant’Antimo Pinot Grigio DOC
If you use fresh beans from the pod, the cooking time will only be 15 minutes.