Fricassee of Veal Sweetbreads Cooking Recipe – Animelle Infricassea Recipe
The term fricassea traditionally describes a dish of white meat or veal sweetbreads with a sauce that uses a liaison of eggs and lemon juice at the end of the cooking time.
Soaking time for veal sweetbreads: minimum 4 hours
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 12 oz. (750 g) veal sweetbreads
- 1 onion
- ½ stick (2 oz./60 g) butter
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup (125 ml) beef stock
- Salt, pepper
- Soak the sweetbreads for a minimum of 4 hours in cold water.
- Change the water frequently.
- Bring a pan of water to a boil to blanch the sweetbreads for 5 minutes.
- Remove their skin, rinse in cold water, and cut into pieces.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Brown it with the butter in a skillet and add the sweetbreads.
- Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Beat the eggs with the lemon juice and the stock in a bowl.
- Pour this over the sweetbreads and stir the mixture without letting it boil.
- As soon as the sauce thickens, serve very hot.
Suggested food/wine match
- Ca’ del Bosco, Chardonnay—Curtefranca DOC
You can prepare this recipe with chicken, veal, or lamb, by adapting the cooking time.
You can also enhance it by adding previously blanched artichokes, cut into quarters. You can even prepare a vegetarian version using the artichokes with-out the sweetbreads, and substituting vegetable stock for the beef stock.