Goan Chilli Chicken Cooking Recipe
Goan food has always been a hot favourite at home, and this dish has a spicy advantage. Serve with brown rice and/or rods, vegetables and a salad.
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2.5cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 chicken thighs (approx. 125g each), skinned
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 dried red chilli
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 1.5cm stick cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- ½ tablespoon vinegar
- Make a paste of the onion, ginger, garlic and two of the green chillies. Add the salt and lemon juice, then use the paste to marinate the chicken thighs for 2 hours, preferably in the fridge.
- Dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds, dried chilli, cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon, and then grind to a powder.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the marinated chicken pieces with the marinade and cook on a high heat. Once the chicken has cooked a bit, add the masala powder and mix well.
- Add the tomato puree, cook a little, then stir in the sugar. Cook until the chicken is done. Add the remaining green chilli and coriander leaves. Remove from the heat, stir in the vinegar and serve immediately.
1001 kj; 238 kcals; 39g protein; 7g fat; 2.1g sat fat; 4g carbohydrates; 2.4g sugar; 0.5g fibre; 429mg sodium