Jelly Tart Cooking Recipe – Crostata Recipe
This is a simple, homely recipe using homemade jelly that is very quick to prepare.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Resting time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 stick (4 oz./100 g) butter
- 2 cups (7 oz./200 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (3 ⅓ oz./100 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange flower water or Marsala
- 2 eggs (1 whole plus 1 yolk)
- Butter and flour for preparing the tart mold
- 10 oz. (300 g) jelly (jam), preferably homemade
- 1 fluted tart mold, 12 in. (28 cm) diameter
- 1 serrated dough cutter
- Prepare the pasta frolla (sweet pastry dough).
- Cut the butter into small pieces, soften to room temperature, and mix them with the flour.
- Add the sugar, the orange flower water or the Marsala, the whole egg and egg yolk, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix everything together very quickly so the heat from your hands does not melt the butter too much.
- When you have a smooth ball of dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Butter and flour a fluted tart mold.
- Divide the dough into two balls, one smaller than the other (roughly two thirds to one third).
- Roll out the largest ball to a thickness of ¼ in. (5 mm).
- Line the mold with the pastry, trim the edges, and prick the base with a fork.
- Spread the jelly evenly over the base of the pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Roll out the smaller ball of pastry to the size of the tart.
- Cut into strips ¾ in. (2 cm) wide with a serrated dough cutter.
- Make a lattice of the strips on the surface of the tart, attaching them firmly to the rim.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the dough is golden brown.
Suggested food/wine match
- Bisson, Sciacchetra Passito—Cinque’Terre DOC
Sprinkle the surface of the tart with slivered almonds.
You can replace the jelly with pastry cream or chocolate cream; with ricotta mixed with sugar, or mascarpone mixed with sugar and eggs, or with rice cooked in milk mixed with eggs and the zest of a lemon.