Lamb Alla Calabrese Cooking Recipe – Agnello Alla Calabrese Recipe
Calabria is sheep and lamb country, and lamb features heavily in the region’s cuisine.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 lb. (1 kg) lamb (leg or shoulder)
- ¼ cup (1 ¾ oz./50 g) capers in salt (or vinegar)
- 1 oz. (30 g) anchovy fillets in salt (or oil)
- 4 artichokes in oil
- 2 oz. (60 g) mushrooms in oil
- A few oregano leaves
- Thai/bird (bird’s eye) chili (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Sufficient quantity of oil for deep frying
- Rinse the capers and anchovy fillets under running water if they are very salty.
- Roughly chop the capers, anchovies, artichokes, mushrooms, and oregano, then mix everything together to make a chunky paste to serve as a sauce with the lamb.
- Cut the meat into medium-sized pieces. Chop or crush the chili.
- Season the meat with the chili and salt.
- Heat the oil to 320°F/160°C. Sprinkle the counter with the flour.
- Roll the pieces of meat in the flour, then deep-fry them for 10 minutes.
- Drain and place them on paper towel to remove excess grease.
- Serve the lamb immediately, accompanied by the sauce.
Suggested food/wine match
- Librandi, Gravetto Rosso—Val diNeto IGT