Mini Tagliatelle and Chickpeas Cooking Recipe, Ingredients, Cooking Method
This is a traditional dish from Salento.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Soaking time: 8 hours minimum
Cooking time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- 1 ½ cups (10 oz./300 g) dried chickpeas
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion
- 3 cherry tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ½ cups (9 oz./250 g) durum
- wheat semolina flour
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Prepare the chickpeas.
- Put the chickpeas in a large container of salted water and leave to soak for at least 8 hours.
- Drain them and cook in 4 cups (1 liter) of fresh waterfor 1 hour, then add the finely chopped garlic and onion, the halved cherry tomatoes, and the bay leaves.
- Leave the soup to simmer for 1 more hour or until the chickpeas are soft.
Make the pasta.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour with half a glass of water and a pinch of salt, and knead until you have an elastic dough.
- Spread or roll it out into a thin sheet and cut it into tagliatelle approximately 2 in. (5 to 6 cm) long (tria).
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta, then drain and mix with the cooked chickpeas.
- The result will be quite dense.
Assemble the dish.
- With a skimmer, remove a portion of pasta and a portion of chickpeas.
- Drain well, then fry them in a skillet in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Once they are crispy, add them back to the pan of chickpeas and pasta.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with the remaining olive oil.