Octopus Alla Luclana Cooking Recipe – Polpi Alla Luciana Recipe
The Luciani is the inhabitants 0f Santa Lucia—a district 0f Naples—who were once renowned for fishing octopuses.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 lb. 8 oz. (1.2 kg) baby octopus
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig of parsley Olive oil
- 1 Thai/bird (bird’s eye) chili, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 14 oz. (400 g) peeled tomatoes or
- 1 lb. 8 oz. (700 g) fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1 oz. (30 g) small capers (the best are from Pantelleria)
- 1 ¾ oz. (50 g) black olives (the best are from Gaeta)
- Peel the garlic and chop.
- Wash the parsley, remove the stalks, and chop 1 tablespoonful.
- Thoroughly clean the octopus.
- Put the octopus in a saucepan with the olive oil, chili, oregano, garlic, and the chopped parsley.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on top, then place a lid on the pan.
- Cook for 30 minutes without lifting the lid.
- Meanwhile, peel the tomatoes if necessary (after immersing for a few seconds in boiling water, then in cold water).
- Add them to the saucepan with the capers and olives, and leave to cook for 1 hour longer.
Suggested food/wine match
- Mastroberardino, Riadici—Piano diAvetlino DOCG
Serve this dish with bread, either fresh or grilled.
You can also use the recipe as a sauce for linguine.