Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe Cooking Recipe – Orecchiette Con Cime Di Rapa Recipe
Orecchiette are characteristic of the Puglia region, and are usually served with a sauce made from broccoli rabe (cime di rapa).
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lb. (500 g) broccoli rabe
- 4 anchovies in oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Thai/bird (bird’s eye) chili (to taste)
- 14-16 oz. (400-500 g) orecchiette pasta (homemade or store-bought)
- ⅓ cup (2 oz./60 g) grated pecorino
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Wash the broccoli rabe, keeping only the most tender stalks, the leaves, and tips. Chop coarsely.
- In a skillet, melt the anchovy fillets and the crushed garlic in the olive oil with the chili.
- Add the broccoli rabe and leave to cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted boiling water (if bought, follow the packet instructions).
- Drain, add to the skillet, and heat everything together with the grated pecorino.
Suggested food/wine match
- Red wine: Calatrasi, Allora Primitivo—Puglia IGT
- White wine: Rivera, Marese Bambino Bianco—Castel del Monte DOC
Did you know?
Cime di rapa goes under different names, depending on where abouts in Italy you are. For example, the leaves are dubbed friarielli in Naples and broc-coletti in Rome. In English they are known as broccoli rabe or rapini.