Here’s a recipe for Pumpkin Foogath (a South Indian coconut-based side dish) and Vegetable Pulao:
- 2 cups of pumpkin, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated coconut
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- A few curry leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons of oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves. Let them splutter.
- Add the asafoetida and green chilies. Sauté for a minute until the chilies turn aromatic.
- Add the diced pumpkin, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook on low to medium heat. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking. Cook until the pumpkin is soft and easily pierced with a fork. This should take around 10-15 minutes.
- Once the pumpkin is cooked, add the freshly grated coconut and stir well.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, allowing the coconut to blend with the pumpkin. Remove from heat.
- Your Pumpkin Foogath is ready to be served as a side dish with Vegetable Pulao.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 green cardamom pods
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Rinse the basmati rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- In a large pan, heat the oil or ghee over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom pods, and cinnamon stick. Sauté for a minute or until they become fragrant.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and sauté until they turn translucent and slightly golden.
- Add the mixed vegetables and sauté for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the soaked and drained basmati rice, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well to coat the rice with the spices.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let the rice simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork, remove the whole spices (bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon), and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve your Vegetable Pulao alongside the Pumpkin Foogath for a delicious and satisfying meal. Enjoy!