Rigatoni Timbale Alla Vesuviana Cooking Recipe, Ingredients, Cooking Method
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 oz. (30 g) bread
- ¼ cup (60 ml) milk
- 2 oz. (60 g) ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 (10 g) cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- Scant ¼ cup (50 ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 50 basil leaves
- 9 oz. (250 g) mozzarella, finely chopped
- ½ oz. (15 g) onion, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup (2 oz./50 g) peas
- 9 oz. (260 g) rigatoni
- 7 oz. (200 g) meat and tomato sauce
- Salt, pepper
Prepare the meatballs.
- Soak the bread in 1 ½ tablespoon (20 ml) of the milk; squeeze gently.
- Make small meatballs with the ground pork, the milk-soaked bread, one egg, and the chopped garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper and fry in a little olive oil.
Prepare the basil sauce.
- Blanch 30 of the basil leaves and blend them with the olive oil to make a basil sauce.
- Strain and set aside but keep warm.
Prepare the mozzarella sauce.
- Warm the remaining 3 tablespoons (40 ml) milk and add ½ cup (2 ½ oz./70 g) of the chopped mozzarella.
- Cook together in a bain-marie, then mix well and strain.
- Set aside but keep warm.
- Brown the chopped onion in a skillet in a little olive oil, then add the peas and saute.
- Hard-boil the second egg for 7 minutes in boiling water. Cool and chop finely.
- Set aside a few basil leaves for decoration, and then chop the remaining leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 340°F (160°C).
- Cook the rigatoni for 3 minutes. Heat the meat and tomato sauce.
- Mix the rigatoni with half of the meat and tomato sauce and half of the basil sauce.
Assemble the timbales.
In four individual aluminum molds approximately 3 ¼ in. in diameter and 1 ½ in. high (8 cm x 4 cm), lined with plastic wrap, assemble the timbales: first place half of the remaining chopped mozzarella on the base, then line the sides with the rigatoni and fill with the peas, chopped egg, meatballs, and chopped basil. Top with the last of the chopped mozzarella.
Bake for 14 minutes. Turn out on to a pi ate and pour over the three sauces: the remaining meat and tomato sauce, the mozzarella sauce, and the remaining basil sauce.
Decorate with the remaining basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.