Salmi of Pigeon Cooking Recipe – Piccioni in Salmi Recipe
This recipe is very widespread in central Italy and is an ideal way to soften the strong flavor of game.
Marinating time: 12 hours minimum
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 pigeons
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 2 cups (500 ml) red wine
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- A few sage leaves
- A few bay leaves
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 3 anchovies in oil, drained
- Cut up the pigeons.
- Peel the garlic, onion, and carrot.
- Wash and clean the celery.
- Marinate the pigeon with the wine, herbs, and vegetables for at least 12 hours.
- Strain the marinade and chop the vegetables and herbs, setting them and the marinade aside.
- Brown the pigeon in olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add the chopped vegetables and herbs from the marinade.
- Leave to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix in the flour and salt then deglaze with the vinegar and some of the wine from the marinade.
- Leave to cook for approximately 1 hour, basting when necessary with the rest of the marinade.
- At the end of the cooking time, remove the pieces of pigeon and place them in a serving dish.
- Melt the fillets of anchovy in the sauce, strain it, then pour over the pigeons.
Suggested food/wine match
- DiMajo Norante, Don Luigi—Molise DOC
Serve the salmi with slices of bread toasted on a griddle, or grilled or fried polenta.