Sardinian Ravioli Alla Ogliastrina Cooking Recipe – Ravioli Sardi All’ogliastrina Recipe
These are traditional Sardinian ravioli. They are made with different stuffings, depending on the season or the area. They are always accompanied by grated pecorino.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Resting time: 30 minutes
Cooking time for the sauce: 20 minutes
Pasta cooking time: 4-5 minutes
- 1 quantity farfalle dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. 12 oz. (800 g) floury potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion
- Either 10 mint leaves Or 1 pinch of saffron powder
- Either 5 oz. (150 g) fresh pecorino, grated Or scant ½ cup (3 oz./75 g) grated pecorino and ⅓ cup (2 ½ oz./75 g) ricotta
- Scant ½ cup (100 ml) olive oil
- Olive oil
- ⅓ cup (2 oz./60 g) grated pecorino, or tomato and basil sauce, or Neapolitan tomato sauce
- 1 potato ricer
- 1 cookie cutter (2 ½ in./6 cm diameter)
Make the ravioli dough.
- Prepare the farfalle dough as in the basic recipe, with the addition of 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Let rest for 30 minutes.
Prepare the ravioli stuffing.
- Boil the potatoes in their skins.
- Meanwhile, peel and crush the garlic.
- Peel and chop the onion, remove the stalks from the mint, if using, and chop ten leaves.
- When the potatoes are cooked, peel them, and pass through a potato ricer.
- Soften the chopped onion in the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add to the mashed potatoes with the mint or saffron, crushed garlic, and pecorino (or pecorino and ricotta); season with salt.
Assemble the ravioli.
- Roll out the dough into one thin sheet.
- Cut out rounds of about 2 V2 in. (6 cm) in diameter using a glass or a cookie cutter.
- Place small mounds of stuffing in the center of each round.
- Draw the sides up over the stuffing, to look like an ear of corn.
- Proceed as follows: first fold the side of the circle nearest to you to the center, then alternately fold over sections of the right and left sides of the circle, sealing them firmly together, making sure that no air bubbles are trapped inside.
- Cook the ravioli for 5 to 6 minutes in boiling salted water.
- Drain, then mix them with olive oil and the pecorino, or with a simple tomato sauce.
Suggested food/wine match
- Cantina Santadl Villa Solais—Vermentino di Sardegna DOC