Sheer Kurma & Pineapple Yogurt Fool Cooking Recipe
Sheer Kurma (Vermicelli Dessert) Cooking Recipe
Mustafa, my barman-in-charge in Benares, used to bring sheer kurma for all of us at the hotel…it is heavenly, creamy, and full of ghee and sugar! In this version I have tried to capture the soul of the dish while reducing the calories by using a sugar substitute, but it is still a special occasion dish.
- 1½ litres skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100g roasted whole-wheat vermicelli
- a few saffron strands
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (chironji)
- ½ teaspoon ground green cardamom
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 6 teaspoons sugar substitute
- 3-4 almonds, blanched and slivered
- 3-4 pistachio nuts, blanched and slivered
- Boil the milk until it has reduced in volume by roughly a quarter.
- Heat the olive oil in a kadai, then add the vermicelli, stirring gently. Stir in the reduced milk.
- Add the saffron, sunflower seeds, cardamom and nutmeg, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar substitute and nuts, taste for sweetness and serve immediately.
1166 kj; 276 kcals; 18g protein; 8g fat; 1,3g sat fat; 35g carbohydrates; 18.4g sugar; 2.6g fibre; 198mg sodium
Pineapple Yogurt Fool Cooking Recipe
A really healthy, delicious pudding.
- ½ medium (300g) pineapple, cut into small pieces
- 2.5cm stick cinnamon
- 135g hung natural low-fat yogurt
- Place the pineapple and cinnamon in a non-stick pan and stew over a low heat for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Remove the pineapple pieces from the pan and mix them with the yogurt. Blend together in a mixer. Chill in the fridge and serve chilled.
281 kj; 66 kcals; 4g protein; 1 g fat; 0.4g sat fat; 12g carbohydrates; 11.8g sugar; 0.9g fibre; 53mg sodium