Sospiri Candies from Ozieri Cooking Recipe – Sospiri Di Ozieri Recipe
This recipe dates back to 1800 and was traditionally prepared for weddings.
Makes 20 sospiri candies Preparation time: 1 hour Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 9 oz. (250 g) blanched almonds
- 1 cup (7 oz./200 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey Zest of ½ lemon
- Scant ¼ cup (50 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon orange flower water
- 2 cups (9 oz./250 g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cookie cutter, 1 in. (2 cm) diameter
Colored paper for wrapping the candy
Prepare the candies.
- Preheat the oven to 140°F (60°C).
- Dry out the blanched almonds in the oven, without coloring them, for 30 minutes, then chop very finely.
- Place the sugar, honey, and lemon zest in a saucepan over medium heat, add the almonds, and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the water and the orange flower water and leave to cool.
- Roll out the mixture on a sheet of parchment paper to a thickness of approximately ¾ in. (1.5 cm).
- Use a small cookie cutter of 1 in. (2 cm) diameter to cut out the candy.
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C).
- Bake the candies for 10 minutes, until lightly colored on the underside.
- Turn off the heat and leave to cool in the oven.
Make the icing.
- Using a spatula, mix the egg white with the confectioners’ sugar to make a firm mixture, then soften it with the lemon juice.
- Ice the sospiri and let the icing dry completely.
- Wrap them individually in colored paper like candy.
Suggested food/wine match
- Contini, Vernaccia di Oristano Riserva DOC Santadi, Latinia—Valli di Porto Pino IGT
Did you know?
In the south of Sardinia, the icing is replaced with superfine (caster) sugar and the candies are known as guejjus.