Calzone Cooking Recipe, Ingredients, Cooking Method
Makes one pizza
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 5-6 minutes
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- 1 portion of mozzarella
- 3 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 oz. (60 g) cooked ham (prosciutto cotto), sliced thinly
- 1 artichoke in oil, cut into quarters
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ portion of tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 535°F (270°C-280°C), choosing the setting for combined top and bottom heating. Place a baking stone on the floor of the oven.
- Flour the counter and your hands.
- With the help of a spatula, take a ball of pizza and place it on the work surface. With your fingertips, begin to lightly flatten out the ball of dough to create a disk (1).
- Once you can place both hands flat on it, begin to stretch the dough by pulling from the middle toward the outside edge, turning it by 90 degrees with each movement of the hands until you have a disk of approximately 12 in. (30 cm) in diameter (2).
- On one half of the disk of dough, add the pizza toppings in the following order: mozzarella, mushrooms, ham, and artichokes, then drizzle 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over them.
- Fold in two (3), press down firmly with your fingertips all around the perimeter to seal the edges well (4).
- Spread a spoonful of tomato sauce on the surface of the calzone and drizzle the remaining olive oil over it.
- Using a pizza peel, slide the pizza directly onto the preheated baking stone and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- Use your imagination when creating pizza—it is open to many interpretations.
There are countless combinations of ingredients for making a pizza. Here are a few suggestions for the most classic and widely known toppings:
- Marinara: tomato sauce, 1 finely sliced clove of garlic, oregano.
- Regina (prosciutto e funghi in Italy): tomato sauce, mozzarella, very finely sliced fresh mushrooms, cooked ham (prosciutto cotto).
- Capricciosa: tomato sauce, mozzarella, finely sliced fresh mushrooms, cooked ham (prosciutto cotto), artichokes in oil, black olives.
- Diavola: tomato sauce, mozzarella, spicy sausage, finely sliced fresh onion.
- Parma: tomato sauce, mozzarella; Parma ham and arugula are added after cooking.
- Caprese: very little mozzarella, finely sliced fresh tomato, fresh buffalo mozzarella (di bufala) cut up small; a few basil leaves added after cooking.
- Vegetariana: tomato sauce, mozzarella, zucchini, eggplant, very finely sliced bell peppers.
- Quattro formaggi: mozzarella, Gorgonzola, Gruyere, Parmesan cheese. This pizza is generally made without tomato.
- Scoglio (with seafood): tomato, garlic, parsley, mussels, clams, rings of squid, shrimp. This pizza is generally made without mozzarella.
- Salmon: mozzarella; finely sliced smoked salmon and arugula are added after cooking. This pizza is generally made without tomato.
- Antica: mozzarella, caciocavallo (or scamorza) cheese; lardo di Colonnata added after cooking.