Hand-Cut Macaroni with Pork Ragout Cooking Recipe – Maccheroni Alferretto Con Ragii Di Maiale Recipe
There are several traditional forms of pasta in Calabria. Among the most common is maccarruni (macaroni), which can also be called sclalatielli, Fuseli lunghi, orfileja, depending on the area.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Resting time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 4 cups (14 oz./400 g) durum wheat semolina flour 2 eggs
- ½-⅔ cup (120-150 ml) lukewarm water
- 1 lb. (500 g) pork (chine)
- 4 oz. (100 g) sausage meat
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 onions
- A few sprigs of parsley
- A few basil leaves
- 1 stick celery
- Thai/bird (bird’s eye) chili (to taste)
- 2 oz. (60 g) ricotta
- 14 oz. (400 g) peeled tomatoes or
- 1 lb. 8oz. (700 g) fresh, ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ cup (120 ml) red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 knitting needle
Prepare the macaroni.
- Pour the flour onto the counter or into a bowl; in the center, lightly mix the whole eggs, lukewarm water, and salt.
- Gradually incorporate the flour, using your fingers or a fork, being careful not to let the mixture overflow.
- When all the flour is incorporated, knead the pastry as firmly and thoroughly as possible for 10 to 15 minutes, until it is very smooth.
- Cover in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Shape the pastry into long sausage shapes of less than ½ in. (1 cm) diameter by rolling them with the palm of your hand.
- Cut them into pieces 2 to 3 in. (6 to 8 cm) long.
- Thread one onto a knitting needle and roll it backward and forward, pressing down with the palms of your hands until it is long and thin. Gently remove the needle.
- You should now have a hollow tube.
- Place on a dry cloth, then repeat until you have shaped all the pieces of pasta into macaroni.
Make the ragout.
- Peel and chop the garlic. Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Wash the parsley, remove the stalks, and chop.
- Wash the basil leaves, and the celery, and chop them.
- Chop or crumble the chili. Grate the ricotta.
- If necessary, peel the tomatoes (after plunging in boiling water for a few seconds, then in cold water).
- Cut the meat into small pieces.
Sweat without letting it color in a saucepan with the olive oil, the sausage meat, cloves, and fennel seeds.
- Add the chopped onions, celery, garlic, and parsley, and continue to cook gently.
- Deglaze with the wine. Add the peeled tomatoes, the tomato paste, basil, bay leaf, and the chili.
- Season with salt and let simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- Boil a saucepan of salted water and cook the macaroni for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine with the sauce and the grated ricotta.
Suggested food/wine match
- Odoardi, Terra Damia—Calabria IGT