Escarole (Endive) Pie Cooking Recipe – Pitta Di Scarola Recipe
In Calabria, pizza is called pitta. In contrast to Neapolitan pizza, the pastry encloses the filling in many recipes, such as this one.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 quantity pizza dough
- 1 lb. 12 oz. (800 g) escarole (endive)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon capers in salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Thai/bird (bird’s eye) chili
- 5 oz. (150 g) provolone cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 oz. (30 g) anchovy fillets in oil
- ¼ cup (2 oz./50 g) black olives, pits removed
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 deep tart mold 11 in. (26 cm) in diameter
- Prepare the pizza dough, and let it rise for 4 to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, soak the raisins in water then drain them.
- If necessary, rinse the capers to remove excess salt.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Crush the chili. Grate the provolone.
- Clean the escarole (endive), then blanch it for 7 minutes in boiling water.
- Drain thoroughly and chop coarsely.
- Return the escarole to a saucepan and soften with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the garlic, and the chili.
- Season with salt.
- Add the anchovies, olives, capers, raisins, oregano, and provolone.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Once the pizza dough has risen, divide it into two.
- Spread it into two rounds of the same diameter (approximately 16 in./40 cm).
- Lightly oil a deep tart mold with the remaining olive oil.
- Line the bottom and sides with one of the two rounds.
- Pour the escarole mixture into the tart mold, and cover with the second disc.
- Trim off the excess pastry then seal the edges by pressing them together with your fingers.
- Prick the surface of the pie in several places with a fork.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes.
- Let cool a little before serving.
Suggested food/wine match
- Librandi, Labella Bianco—Calabria IGT