Pork Alla Lucana Cooking Recipe – Maiale Alla Lucana Recipe
Pork is a staple of the cuisine of Basilicata. This dish is traditionally prepared by the family on the day the pig is slaughtered.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. 12 oz. (800 g) pork loin (or boned rib)
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup (250 ml) white wine
- 10 oz. (300 g) bell peppers in vinegar (preferably Senise PGI bell peppers, homemade or store-bought in a jar)
- Cut the pork into small pieces. Peel the onion and chop.
- Brown the pork in the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add the chopped onion, paprika, and fennel seeds.
- Once the onion is cooked, deglaze with the wine and cook for 10 minutes.
- Cut the bell peppers into strips and add them to the mixture and season with salt.
- Cover and leave to cook for an additional 15 minutes over low heat.
Suggested food/wine match
Il Basilisco, Il Basilisco—Aglianico del Vulture DOC
If you do not have bell peppers in vinegar (buy from a specialty store in jars), use two fresh red bell peppers. Peel and cut them into strips, then soften them in a skillet in olive oil, and deglaze with white wine.