Popular Indian Fish and Sea Food Cooking Recipes
Tomato Fish Cooking Recipe
A delicious way of preparing fish in a slightly sweet and sour tomato sauce with diced capsicum.
- 500 gm fish – cut into 2” pieces
- 3 medium onions – chopped finely (1½ cups)
- 1 green capsicum – chopped finely (½ cup)
- 3 tbsp oil
- ¾ cup tomato puree,
- 1 tsp chill sauce,
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar,
- ¾ tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp cornflour
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add onions. Stir fry till transparent. Add green capsicum. Saute for a few seconds. Add tomato puree, chilli sauce, salt, sugar and vinegar. Mix well.
2. Add fish in a single layer over the masala, without overlapping. Cook uncovered for 6-7 minutes on low heat. (Overturn the pieces of fish after 3-4 minutes). Cook till fish is properly cooked.
3. Remove the fish pieces with a slotted spoon on to a serving dish. To the gravy in the pan, add cornflour dissolved in % cup of water. Give one boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Pour over the fish. Serve tomato fish with rice.
Bengali Fish Curry Cooking Recipe
- 300 gm fish – cut into 1½” flat pieces
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt,
- ½ tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 4 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
MUSTARD PASTE (GRIND)
- 4 tsp yellow mustard (peeli sarson)
- 2 dry, red chillies – deseed
- 1 onion – chopped finely
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp water to grind
1. Rub lemon juice, salt and turmeric on fish. Keep aside for 10 minutes. Wash fish, pat dry.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Place fish in the pan in a single layer. Cook on medium heat for about IV2 minutes. Turn side and cook for the same time, so that both sides of the fish are golden and the fish is cooked.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadhai. Add the mustard paste. Stir for 3 minutes. Add V2 cup water. Bring to a boil and then cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
4. Add fish. Mix well. Add V4 tsp chilli powder. Sprinkle chopped coriander. Keep aside till serving time. To serve heat on low flame for 2 minutes.
Goan Fish Curry Cooking Recipe
Another landscape, another cuisine – this curry has tamarind and coconut milk, curry leaves and black mustard seeds.
- 400 gm of any firm white fish – cut into 2″ pieces
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2-3 green chillies – deseeded and sliced
- 1 tsp red chilli powder,
- 2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- ½ tsp garam masala,
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups thick coconut milk
- 2 tbsp tamarind (imli) pulp, optional
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion,
- 2½” piece of ginger,
- 8-10 flakes of garlic
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds (sarson seeds),
- 8-10 curry leaves (curry patta)
- 3 whole dry red chillies
1. Make a paste of the onion, ginger and garlic in a blender.
2. Heat the oil in a kadhai, add onion paste from blender and green chillies. Cook until onion turns brown.
3. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix. Cook on medium heat until oil separates. Sprinkle a little water if the masala sticks to the pan.
4. Add tamarind pulp, coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Let it come to a boil. Add fish and cook on low heat for 10-12 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Remove from fire.
5. For the tempering, heat the oil in a frying pan add all the ingredients. When the seeds start spluttering pour over the hot fish. Serve hot.
Prawn Curry Cooking Recipe
A delicious, spicy prawn curry with coconut milk.
- 250 gm prawns – shelled, with tails intact
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp red chilli paste,
- ½ tsp ground turmeric,
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste,
- ½ tsp sugar
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes or 125 gm regular tomatoes – cut into 1″/2.5 cm pieces
- juice of 1 lemon (2 tbsp)
- 1-2 green/red chillies – chopped,
- some green coriander leaves
- Heat oil. Add chilli paste and turmeric. Fry for 2 minutes till oil separates.
- Add three fourth cup coconut milk. Boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 5- 7 minutes. Add salt and sugar. Add the rest of the coconut milk. Boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add prawns and tomatoes. Cook for 4-5 minutes till prawns are cooked and the gravy becomes thick. Add lemon juice. Mix.
- Garnish with chopped chillies and coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice.