Popular Indian Non-Vegetarian Tandoori and Kadhai Cooking Recipes
Tandoori Chicken Cooking Recipe
An all time favourite of not only Punjabis but of all the people fond of good food.
- 1 small sized chicken (800 gm) – cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup thick yogurt (curd) – hang in a muslin cloth for ½ hour
- 2 tbsp plain flour (maida),
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tsp ginger-garlic paste,
- a pinch of orange red colour
- 1 tbsp dry fenugreek (kasoori methi) – dry roasted on a tawa for 2 minutes and crushed to a powder
- ½ tsp cumin (jeera) powder,
- ½ tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder,
- 2 tsp tandoori masala
- 1½ tsp amchoor powder,
- 1 tsp salt,
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 4 tbsp oil for basting (pouring on top)
- Mix yogurt, flour, colour and all other ingredients. Add enough colour to get a bright orange colour.
- Wash chicken. Squeeze out all excess water. Pat dry on a clean kitchen towel.
- Marinate chicken in the yogurt mixture for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Rub the wire rack of the oven with oil and place the marinated chicken on it, so that the extra marinade can drip down from the grill rack. If the chicken is placed in a dish or a tray, the extra marinade and liquid keep collecting around the chicken pieces and hence they do not turn dry and crisp.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes in an oven at 180°C. Overturn again, baste (pour) with oil and cook for another 10-12 minutes or till tender and crisp.
- Serve hot garnished with onion rings.
- Instead of a full chicken only drumsticks (legs) can be made. They are called tangdi kebabs. After grilling, wrap a piece of aluminium foil at the end of each leg. Besides looking nice, it is also convenient for holding and eating the chicken leg.
- Boneless chicken cut into 1½”-2” pieces can be cooked in a similar manner to get chicken tikka.
- The tandoori chicken can be added to an onion-tomato masala for a tikka masala dish.
Kadhai Murg Cooking Recipe
A semi – dry preparation of chicken, flavoured with fenugreek and coriander.
- 1 medium sized (800 gm) chicken – cut into 12 pieces,
- 6-7 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds (saboot dhania)
- 3 whole, dry red chillies,
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 3 large onions – cut into slices,
- 15-20 flakes garlic – crushed & chopped (2 tbsp)
- 1” piece of ginger – crushed to a paste (1 tbsp)
- 4 large tomatoes – chopped
- ½ cup ready-made tomato puree or ¾ cup homemade puree
- 1 tsp red chilli powder,
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder (dhania)
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste,
- ¼ tsp amchoor,
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ cup chopped green coriander,
- 1 capsicum – cut into slices
- 1” piece ginger – cut into match sticks
- 1-2 green chillies – cut into long slices,
- ½ cup cream, optional
- Put coriander seeds and whole red chillies on a tawa. Keep on fire and roast lightly till it just starts to change colour. Do not make them brown. Remove from fire.
- Crush the coriander seeds on a chakla-belan (rolling board and pin) to split the seeds. Keep red chillies whole. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Reduce heat. Add fenugreek seeds and whole red chillies and stir for a few seconds till fenugreek seeds turns golden.
- Add onion and cook on medium heat till light brown. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add ginger paste. Add the coriander seeds, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Add chicken and bhuno for 10 minutes on high flame, stirring well so that chicken attains a nice golden brown colour.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add salt, amchoor and garam masala. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or till tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato puree and chopped green coriander. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the capsicum, ginger match sticks and green chilli slices. Mix well.
- Reduce heat. Add cream. Mix well for 2-3 minutes and serve hot.
Tandoori Fish Cooking Recipe
Delicious, succulent fish. Can be served as a snack or with the main meal.
- 500 gm fish – cut into 5-6 pieces, preferably boneless and skinless
- 3 tbsp gramflour (besan),
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt,
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 2½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder (degi mirch)
- ½ tsp black cumin (shah jeera),
- 1 tsp ginger paste,
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp tandoori masala,
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1½ tsp amchoor,
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice,
- ¼ tsp chaat masala,
- 1¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp melted butter mixed with ¼ tsp black cumin (shah jeera)
1. Rub the fish well with 3 tbsp gramflour and 2 tbsp lemon juice to remove the fishy odour. Keep aside for 15 minutes. Wash well and pat dry on a kitchen towel. Prick fish all over with a fork or give shallow cuts with a knife.
2. Mix all ingredients given under marinade. Rub the marinade well all over the fish pieces and let it marinate for 2-3 hours.
3. Heat an electric oven to 160°C or a gas tandoor on gas at low heat. Grease the wire rack and place fish pieces on it. Let it cook for 8-10 minutes.
4. Baste (pour) with melted butter mixed with black cumin. Cook again for 5-6 minutes till well cooked and crisp. The time of cooking will depend on the thickness of the fish and may vary a little.
5. Sprinkle chaat masala and serve hot with dahi pudina chutney and sirke waale pyaaz.
- A small fish (pomfret) can be made whole in this way.
- While grilling, always place fish pieces (or a whole fish) on a rack with the drip tray below it as it will leave some liquid which will drip down. If the fish is placed on a baking tray, the water will remain around the fish and hence make it soggy and it will not get crisp.
Badami Tangri Cooking Recipe
- 5 drumsticks (500 gm chicken legs)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ cup yogurt (curd) – hang for 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil,
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 8-10 almonds – ground to a powder
- ¼ cup thick cream
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Wash & pat dry the chicken legs. Make 2 light cuts/incisions on each drumstick.
- Marinate chicken with 1st marinade for 30 minutes.
- Mix ingredients of 2nd marinade in a bowl. Add only chicken pieces discarding the liquid. Marinate for 2-3 hours in the fridge.
- To serve, grease a flat borosil dish. Place the chicken on it. Cook in a microwave oven on combination mode (microwave 540W+Grill) for 8 minutes or till golden. Turn side and smear the remaining marinade. Cook for 4 minutes on the same combination mode. If using an OTG, cook at 160°C for 15-20 minutes till soft. Serve with pudina chutney.