Tomato and Mozzarella Salad Cooking Recipe – Caprese Recipe
Caprese—tomato and mozzarella salad—is the emblem of Italian cuisine the world over, with the red tomatoes, white mozzarella, and green basil representing the colors of the national flag.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 1 lb. 5 oz. (600 g) buffalo mozzarella, from Campania if possible (2 balls or 1 braid)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, from the first cold pressing
- A few fresh basil leaves
- Wash the basil and remove the leaves from the stalks.
- Wash the tomatoes.
- Cut the tomatoes and mozzarella into slices that are ⅛ in. (3 mm) thick.
- Lay alternate slices of tomato and mozzarella on a plate.
- Alternatively, cut each tomato into sixths, without slicing all the way through, and place a slice of mozzarella between each segment of tomato.
- Season with the olive oil and salt.
- Sprinkle over a few basil leaves and serve.
Suggested food/wine match
- Grotta del Sole,Asprinio D’Aversa—San Cipriano D’Aversa DOC