Tripoline Pasta with Salt Cod and Crushed Green Olives Cooking Recipe
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 14 oz. (400 g) salt cod, presoaked in water and cut into small pieces
- 14 oz. (400 g) tripoline pasta
- 1 onion (preferably a white onion from Castrovillari or a red onion from Tropea)
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 14 oz. (400 g) cherry tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup (2 ½ oz./70 g) crushed green olives or pitted black olives in salt
- 1 chili (optional)
- A few small basil and mint leaves
- 1 cup (2 oz./50 g) fresh bread crumbs
- A selection of fresh herbs (e.g. parsley, basil, mint, fresh oregano, thyme, wild fennel, chives, lemon verbena), finely chopped
Make the sauce.
- Finely chop the onions and bell peppers.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet large enough to eventually take the cooked pasta, and soften the chopped onions and bell peppers.
- Add the salt cod and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes.
- When the sauce is almost cooked, add the olives and chili, if using.
- Continue cooking the sauce, and then flavor with the basil and mint.
Prepare the flavored bread crumbs.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with your choice of finely chopped fresh herbs.
- Lightly toast the breadcrumb mixture in a small skillet for a few minutes, making sure it does not burn.
Prepare the pasta and assemble the dish.
- Cook the pasta al dente in plenty of salted water.
- Drain and add to the sauce in the skillet.
- Heat through, then sprinkle with the herb and breadcrumb mixture.
- Serve immediately.